We believe that education is not confined to the classroom.
Each half term there is a comprehensive programme of activities on offer, before, during and after school hours. Students can sign up to activities with their parents’ permission on a half termly basis. The school actively encourages parent help and support with clubs.
Carisbrooke CE Primary gives its pupils the opportunity to participate in inter-school sports competitions every half term where children represent their school in activities such as athletics, football, hockey, rounders, kwik cricket, netball, sitting volleyball and rugby. The aim is to get as many children, of any ability, to compete against other local primary schools.
As of September 2013, the Government is providing additional funding of £150 million per annum for the next two academic years to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE.
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs.
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport.
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport.
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games.
We are very proud of our PE curriculum and the sporting opportunities we have on offer at Carisbrooke CE Primary School. We already provide two hours of high quality teaching per week, taught by PE specialists, as part of the curriculum. We provide before school sports clubs, lunchtimes activities and after school sports clubs, plus competitive team fixtures in a range of sports.